Comedor de niños

(Prayer requests underlined)

A couple of weeks ago, I went with my Spanish school to a comedor. This is similar to what I will be doing in January (but we just went for a couple of hours to serve lunch). It was a hugely eye opening experience...

The school take students once a month and on the way always buy pudding for the children. They were so excited to get a chocolate bar (and lots of them tried to sneak 2 - I couldn't say no to their cute little faces!)

The houses and area they were living is was quite frankly pretty shocking to see. Their houses were often no taller than me (and I'm short!) and made out of rubbish - tyres, old bath tubs etc. The teacher from the school informed us that just outside of the comedor was a big drugs hub which just happens whilst the children are around. Something children shouldn't have to see 😩, but sadly a reality here.

I was terrified to go, because I knew that my Spanish wasn't going to get me very far, but I was so glad I did. Partly to be able to get a small insight into what my project might be like, but also in order to throw myself into situations here that make me feel a little uncomfortable! The children were happy to chat with me, despite my basic Spanish! It really struck me how happy the children were. They pretty much have nothing, yet they were smiling and excited to talk to us. A couple of children kept saying 'How do you say x in English?' and found it absolutely hilarious. So adorable.

I'm excited to get stuck into my project in January but don't want to wish this important time of language learning away. I know that it will be tough and so I want to try and enjoy this time now (though I'm not very good at that and sort of just want to get on). 

Here are a few pictures of the view from the roof of the comedor:





Here is a song that is on my heart at the moment and seems to be quite fitting:


Thanks for reading!

Much love xx

Comments

  1. Thank you for keeping us up to date, may God bless and support your work abundantly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday, heat and a heck of a lot of adulting...

Break my heart for what breaks yours...

A super short update..