Back at it...

Sorry it has been a while - due to various unfortunate circumstances life has been a bit of a whirlwind - but I am back at it! (Prayer points underlined)

Having not been at the project for a few weeks, this week I was back (following our team retreat in Medellin).

Our team retreat is Medellin was absolutely brilliant. We were fortunate to have Simon Guillebauld (some of you may have heard of him) with us talking about life in Burundi (having returned after serving out there for 20 years). It was eye-opening to hear about his experience and God hit me with quite a full bullets to think about! I have found myself being challenged here on 'enduring vs enjoying', and this last weekend on 'grumpiness vs gratitude'. I am challenging myself to enjoy each day, despite its struggles and despite being exhauuuuuuuuusted, and trying to see the positive before the negative. I think this is partly a very British culture - we love a good moan! I found myself this week thanking God that I had a head to be able to have a headache.. maybe that was a bit extreme! 
Simon said something that really stuck with me: 'We are immortal until God calls us home'. Wow. What a challenge. We never know when we will be called home - if I knew today was my last day on earth would I spend it moaning/watching Netflix/scrolling through social media? Everything in life is a gift not a right and we are so good (particularly us British) at seeing things as rights. Maybe that's controversial but I stand by it - everything is a great gift from God.

So, this week at the project, despite it being challenging, I have found myself with a new perspective. Rather than being frustrated that I am unable to change things, or to 'fix' things, I am focusing on what I can do. And that is to love the children, no matter what. To pray for them, to talk to them about Jesus and to bring the light of Jesus into their lives. Each day is a new day and I am trying to walk in the light of the world and bring a little bit of hope (through Jesus) into these children's difficult, messed up and broken worlds. Jesus has already won the victory. This is incarnational mission. And how fortunate I am to be able to live this.

This is Comuna 13 in Medellin - a place that was full of conflict and violence with many innocent people dying. They have responded by using art and graffiti to express themselves and it now tells a great story (and they have outdoor escalators there - weird concept!)

Myself and two of the other Striders at the airport waiting for our flight to Medellin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday, heat and a heck of a lot of adulting...

A super short update..

Today was the day!