The alien has landed...

Hola! I thought I'd take a few minutes to update you all on my arrival and first few days in Bogotá. (Those of you who are prayers - I will underline any prayer requests/thanks.)



I arrived safely on Friday evening (19th) - the flights were super straight forward and entering into Colombia was much easier than it could have been. The only slight difficulty was trying to fill in a customs form in Spanish whilst in the air (thankfully I had downloaded google translate and we had some friendly Colombian students sat near us!)


I am currently living with the Latin Link short term co-ordinator for Latin Link and his wife who are flipping amazing. They have made me feel so welcome and helped us with sorting everything out and with a lot of translation! I am sharing a room with another wonderful Strider (Anisa) - it is a blessing to have someone to share the new experiences with! I will probably move at the end of this week to live with a wonderful lady (who lives super close to where I am currently) who picked us up from the airport (and her husband) and I have already been to a Zumba class with!


The last few days have consisted of a huge variety of activities - getting a bus pass, spending the afternoon with the short term co-ordinator's family, going shopping, eating ice cream, going to church, watching some documentaries on the history of Colombia, registering for our ID cards, to name a few! Tomorrow we will be going to register at the Spanish school.


It is amazing how quickly my understanding of Spanish has improved, but it is still hard for my little brain! I can't speak much so I'm looking forward to getting going with learning. I will be doing it pretty much full time up until Christmas I think.


I shouldn't be surprised, but I kind of am, at how amazing this country is. The people are incredible! So generous and loving and keen to help out. The food!!!!!!!!!!! The food is delicioso. Arepas (corn based flatbread kind of things), super yummy hot chocolate, lots of rice, mariposas (sweet pastries literally meaning butterfly), some super tasty fruit (granadilla - like a sweeter passion fruit).. and much more! I am quickly learning that food is the language of love here... no complaints on my part! Here is some of the food I have eaten:



The equivalent of £1.50 for a starter, main and unlimited juice


Granadilla


Mariposa







The next few days probably involve moving house and a Spanish exam as well as more exploring.


I am so grateful to God for how quickly I have settled in and know I am in the right place.


Ciao amigos xxx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday, heat and a heck of a lot of adulting...

Break my heart for what breaks yours...

A super short update..